Oh, the Super Bowl. A day filled with excessive drinking, yelling at the TV, and a great excuse to EAT, eat, and oh yeah, EAT some more. Because we love any excuse to get creative with food, especially food enjoyed with a large group of people, we wanted to share some of our Executive Chef, Lexy’s, favorite Super Bowl inspired recipes.
Below you’ll find one of our TWIST’s on Salsa, Jalapeno Poppers stuffed with FIVE (yes, five) different cheeses AND sausage, and one of our all time favorites, Chicken and Waffle teasers. If you want to WOW your Super Bowl party guests, without spending a fortune on a new 500 inch TV, whip up these recipes. You may want to make a couple batches… because we promise, they won’t last long.
2 pints cherry tomatoes
1 pint strawberry, diced
8 green onions with tops, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 tablespoon garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Balsamic Glaze
2 cups balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
Directions for Salsa
– Mix all the ingredients in a bowl
Directions for Glaze
– Mix balsamic with brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat
– Stir constantly until sugar has dissolved and bring to a boil
– Reduce heat to low, and simmer until glaze is reduced by half, about 20 minutes
– Glaze should coast the back of a spoon. Let cool and add a light drizzle over Strawberry Salsa.
1 lb ground pork sausage
1 (8 0z) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded asiago
1/4 cup shredded pepper jack
1 lb large fresh jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
– Preheat over to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C)
– Place sausage in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain grease
– In a bowl, mix the sausage, cream cheese, parmesan, mozzarella, asiago, and pepper jack cheeses.
– Spoon about 1 tablespoon sausage-cheese mixture into each half. Arrange stuffed jalapeno halves in baking dishes.
– Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly browned. Serve with ranch dressing.
Ingredients for Chicken
1 teaspoon dark chili powder seasoning
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 boneless chicken breast diced small
Directions for Preparing Chicken
– Combine the seasonings and oil to form a paste, adding more oil if needed.
– Rub all over the chicken breast pieces; place in a food storage bag and refrigerate for at least an hour.
– Par-sear (partially cook) chicken in a pan that has been lightly oiled with olive oil. (It will finish cooking in the oven)
– Set chicken aside and allow to cool.
Ingredients for Waffle Mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for Waffles
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
– Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla, just until smooth.
– Spray preheated muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Place several pieces of chicken in each muffin tin.
– Fill muffin tin with waffle mix 3/4.
– Cook until golden brown about 15 minutes.
Ingredients for Maple Icing
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon real maple syrup
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 powdered sugar
Directions for Maple Icing
Simple. Add all ingredients to a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until peaks for (about 5 minutes or so) then put on top of chicken waffle teaser.
What is YOUR favorite Super Bowl or football watching food?